firefox will not play my movie right away and statusbar says transferring.

johan

Jul 21, 2010, 6:34:27 PM7/21/10
to SWFObject
Dear members,
I really hope that you can help me because I searched for an answer
already for two day's on the internet.
I have made a demo movie for my website with a length of 15 minutes
with camtasia.
Because the movie is longer than ten minutes I could not upload the
movie to youtube and I desided to use swfobject to play the movie
directly from my site.
In all occasions it works (with chrome, ie and firefox under XP and
W7), but with firefox (several browser versions) there is a annoing
problem.
When I click the movie on my localhost test environment I see the
statusbar showing loading progress and the movie starts.
When I click the movie on my site I see the statusbar but no progress
is shown, nothing happens and the statusbar of firefox keeps saying
"transferring" although I can see in the browser cache that the movie
is completely loaded.
Then, when I go to an other page of my site and go back to the page of
my movie the movie is played.
I tried all kind of modifications (object with embed, without embed,
several versions of swfobject, etc.) but no success; in all situations
I get the same result that the movie will only play when; after the
movie is loaded in the cache, I go to an other page and than back to
the page where the movie is.
For ennyone who is interested, the movie is on the page "hoe werkt
het" of my site esheets.nl.

Thanks in advance.

Aran Rhee

Jul 21, 2010, 7:36:07 PM7/21/10
to swfo...@googlegroups.com
So a couple of things:

1) your DOM id in your registerSWF call does not match the id in your static embed code ( "csSWF" in register, "rmovie" in your embed)
2) I would try exporting out a very short version of your movie and seeing if that works. I am unsure what the swf code is doing in regards to your 15Mb video MP4, and whether it is waiting for the entire video to load before playing etc.

I believe the issue is in the swf, not with swfobject (but you can try a simple test of using the standard object/embed methodology and seeing if you still get the same behaviour)

BTW - you should put your GA tracking code at the bottom of the page so that you are not waiting for the GA code to execute before the rest of the page loads.

Cheers,
Aran

johan

Jul 22, 2010, 4:59:26 AM7/22/10
to SWFObject
Thanks for your advise.

- Concerning GA I use the new asynchronus method (ga.async = true) and
therefore I do not have to wait in my point of view.
- I have tried the embed methodology with the same result.

This morning I made a short version of my movie and "direct starting
to play" works with the small version of my movie.
So it looks like there is a timing problem in firefox.
I also remember some information concerning "a percentage of the movie
has to be loaded before firefox starts playing the movie" and this
percentage can be changed with entering about:config in the firefox
browser.
Never the less changing this parameter could solve the problem for me
but this will not be a workaround for the customers who are visting my
website.

The way I see it (but I have no real knowledge of swfobject.js) is as
follows.
Because firefox has a timing problem (when percentage of movie is not
loaded in an certain time firefox will not check the percentage
afterwards) I have to trigger firefox to look again.
But how can I follow the loading process with javascript ?

Do you have other suggestions ?

johan

Jul 22, 2010, 6:44:03 AM7/22/10
to SWFObject
Addition to my last post.

I noticed that the problem is also occurring in IE so it is not a
firefox problem.

I do not exactly understand what you mean by "I believe the issue is
in the swf" but I think you are right.
The movie was produced with camtasia and several files where created
which I used.
Two of these files are controller.swf and productioninfo.xml.
I you mean controller.swf with swf I understand.
If productioninfo.xml is used by controller.swf I understand it even
better because in this file there are several parameters, for
instance:

<SWFPlaybackConfigFileName>film3_config.xml</
SWFPlaybackConfigFileName>
<SWFPlaybackControllerFileName>film3_controller.swf</
SWFPlaybackControllerFileName>
<SWFPreloaderFileName></SWFPreloaderFileName>

and

<m_cf_bSwfPreloadAdvanced>1</m_cf_bSwfPreloadAdvanced>
<m_cf_bSwfSingleSWF>1</m_cf_bSwfSingleSWF>
<m_cf_nSwfMainMovieLoadPercent>10</m_cf_nSwfMainMovieLoadPercent>
<m_cf_nSwfPreloadMinDisplayTime>3</m_cf_nSwfPreloadMinDisplayTime>

And I think these parameters could play a role in solving my problem.
Do you agree and do you have any suggestions ?

Sam Sherlock

Jul 22, 2010, 11:02:12 AM7/22/10
to swfo...@googlegroups.com
have not looked at your project

but I have found loading classes on frame5 and have an initial blank frame

idea being that you can display an initial message before loading actionscript classes and other movie assets (entire lib to so export after frame5)

the above would have to be adapted to you your situ. (the above is slightly different then the method I describe)

also creating a example page that uses plain object/embed code and a page that has the point suggested by Aran will be good points of reference (flash generates the first for you and swfobject generators makes the second)

 - S

+44 (0)7507 48 38 74

johan

Jul 23, 2010, 12:03:47 PM7/23/10
to SWFObject
Ok, problem for 90% solved.
My hosting provider use gzipt.
This tool is compressing large files.
Flashplayer cannot handle this.
I made a htaccesfile with the following content:
SetOutputFilter DEFLATE
SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \.(?:gif|jpe?g|png)$ no-gzip dont-vary
SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \.(?:exe|t?gz|zip|bz2|sit|rar)$ no-gzip
dont-vary
SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \.pdf$ no-gzip dont-vary
SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \.avi$ no-gzip dont-vary
SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \.mov$ no-gzip dont-vary
SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \.mp3$ no-gzip dont-vary
SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \.mp4$ no-gzip dont-vary
SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \.rm$ no-gzip dont-vary
SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \.swf$ no-gzip dont-vary
SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \.flv$ no-gzip dont-vary
and put in in my public directory.

Now (almost) all browser (versions) except ie6 are working.